Sunday, June 19, 2011

Flying Solo

I'm sitting in a room in Pegasus Hotel in Guyana. I can't believe I'm in another country, another continent. Somewhere between my nerves rattling around flying alone, clearing immigration, and getting to the hotel, I'm in pure awe to be here.

I've traveled quite a bit, but never alone. The thought of getting on a plane by myself was just nerve wrecking. But I never let on. When friends asked if I was scared my simple reply was "no". I wasn't nervous to be in another country alone, just the "getting from here to there". I figured it would be all down hill once I landed. My friends & family? Well, they're nervous for me. But that's another whole blog entry.

First thoughts on Guyana ? Well, I landed in the capital city of Georgetown. I expected it to be like all major cities I've landed in. Crowded, busy, bustling with people. Not exactly. The airport wasn't very large; only four lines to clear immigration. I waited for a taxi to the hotel while stray dogs walked around the parking lot. During the forty- five minute drive from the airport to the hotel we passed chickens walking the streets, and cows and horses on the side of the road. If this is "city", what does the country look like? Nope, I'm not in New York any more.

The cab driver was very informative and gave a great tour while I gazed over the city. We passed one of three major rivers (Dematara?), churches, mosques, and temples, street vendors, beggars, children, KFC, outdoor markets, a hospital, PAHO (Pan American Health Organization), and the American consulate.

After a very, VERY, long nap, I ate dinner downstairs. Jerk chicken, french fries, salad, and diet coke. The jerk chicken was so delicious. I'm on a mission to eat some great roti & dal. Mmmm. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to get some while I'm here.

The proposed agenda is to look at an apartment picked out by my agency tomorrow and hopefully move in. Work begins on Tuesday. Can't wait. Did I mention I'm on another continent? Sunscreen & malaria medication? Check. Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment