Monday, September 19, 2011

Greetings from Reykjavik!


Hi all!

As many of you are finishing (or have finished) your fellowships, mine is just beginning. I arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland on Saturday, and I've almost finished my first week at the Ministry for the Environment. I haven't gotten a chance to see too much yet, but Reykjavik seems like a nice small city, in fact it hardly seems like a city at all. Very few large buildings and no big crowds of people. Everyone seems friendly and everyone speaks English quite well, so the adjustment is not too difficult.

My project here will be on organization of environmental data reporting for Iceland. This is obviously a HUGE project so I will just be taking some preliminary steps to gather some metadata on current information flows, and what kinds of reporting are required by the European Environment Agency. As far as the project goes I have been mainly doing background reading and developing a questionnaire that will help me amass this data from the different environmental organizations here.

In more exciting news, I was invited to accompany the Minister for the Environment to Gullfoss and Geysir yesterday for the opening of a new trail. I was also the unofficial photographer for the trip, so the picture you see above is myself and the Minister at Gulfoss. It was a very nice time, and it was very exciting for me to see these geological phenomena for the first time and see the process of protecting them and making them accessible in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment