Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ramadan Mubarak... Eid Mubarak

I recently asked a cab driver to take me to the post office (it always seems to start with a cab story, huh?). He asked me what I planned to purchase, as I may be able to get postal things at other locations. I told him stamps and postcards. He really wasn’t familiar with the concept of a postcard. I think he thought I meant a regular greeting card. “Are you sending your family members a card because you are away for Ramadan?”
“Oh no, I’m not Muslim.”
“Oh, ok.”
I stare into his rear view mirror trying to figure out his body language. Did I make him uncomfortable?
The driver then went on to share a story of cards he’s purchased since the holiday began.

I surely felt awkward that the driver would default to Ramadan greeting cards. But then I wondered how many times I must have done the same thing in the US. I can hear myself now: “Oh, are you done your Christmas shopping?”

The driver was able to help me find a gift shop closer than driving to town. They had a lot of great things, even postcards!

Being a minority is nothing new to me. Black, immigrant, female. Yes, in many circles, I’m used to being the minority. But for the first time, in a very long time, I’ve felt marginalized for my religion.

I identify as Christian, and like many other Americans, have had the pleasure of not thinking twice about being bombarded with media ads regarding Christmas & Easter. Guyana has given me a different experience. Having friends of different faiths has contributed to my being culturally sensitive and aware of different faiths. I’m going to suggest that awareness and empathy will only take you so far in understanding others.

The Muslim and Hindu communities represent a heavy number of the population. Christians are very much present, however, I’ve had the pleasure of gaining understanding about a culture I know little about. Although I have Muslim friends in the US, it has been an amazing experience to live in a country while so many communities are acknowledging such an important holiday.

One day while listening to a local radio station, I heard an advertisement about preparing for Ramadan. I don’t remember where exactly this place was located, I just remember they claimed to be my “one stop shop” in getting ready Ramadan. It reminded me of the taxi driver. When have I ever heard an ad on the radio for Ramadan? Or seen a greeting card in a store that read “Ramadan Mubarak” (Happy Ramadan). Not to say they don’t exist in specialty shops, but it’s really eye opening and thought changing to think about. A ‘minority’ culture in America is a majority culture in Guyana, and now I’m living here.

I have a new found appreciation for my classmates who practice the Muslim faith. Classmate who would have to use the restrooms as an area to pray throughout the day, because there were no appropriate spaces for their needs. Appreciation for my hairdresser who stays committed to her beliefs and would have to take a break while doing my hair so she could wash up and pray; even though this meant some clients getting upset about the waiting time. Appreciation for my friends, here and at home, who would have to go to class during or after a long day of fasting during Ramadan while everyone ate their lunches and dinners during lecture (especially because fasting lasts a whole month).

Yesterday was Eid ul Fitr, the end of Ramadan. The day is often referred to as Eid for short. Eid, means festivity, and Fitr means to break the fast. While I didn’t celebrate Eid with any locals, I definitely felt its presence.

The holiday of Ramadan, marked by month long sun-up to sun-down fasting, is a time of forgiveness, making amends, and growing spiritually closer to God. What a wonderful purpose. It’s also a time where I’ve learned a lot about my self-awareness and another culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment