Friday, July 1, 2011

Men as Allies

When I consider that my fellowship incorporates gender and public policy, it is only appropriate that I take some time to reflect on my experiences as a young woman in another country.

I had an opportunity to meet the Director of Public Policy at my internship, and soon learn that we’ll be sharing an office space. He introduced himself and explained that he’s been anticipating my arrival for some time. I explain that I recently graduated from Columbia while we are shaking hands and he begins to shake my hand even harder. “Wow, Columbia! We’re very lucky to have you with us.” I smile and say thanks (Go, Lions!).

My department (and future project) focuses on the prevention of domestic violence and sexual assault. While talking to the Director, we casually run through our CV’s. He asks himself out loud “What else is there to say? Well, why did I go into this work?” and I reply “Probably the same reason I did”. We laugh and agree there is satisfaction in work when it helps others.

Later during an afternoon meeting, the topic of discussion is Guyana’s new public policy regarding sexual assault. One member explains why he believes the new legislation is “bad policy” and “doesn’t reflect the culture of Guyana”. He further explains that on the ground, this policy would put every other man in jail. I take time to realize the conversation has been dominated by men. The Director explains why he disagrees. His words echoed with me all day: “We always treat sexual assault as a women’s issue. But if the majority of abuse is committed by men, then it’s our issue too. It’s up to us, men, to end it.”

I wanted to yell “Amen, brethren!” I wanted to hug him for acknowledging his power and privilege; hi-five him for his commitment to being an ally to the women of his homeland…
I sat in my seat and nodded my head.

I want to take you home Mr. Director. I want you to use your dedication to rally men in the USA for this cause. But, there’s work to be done here- and by my impressions, you’re mighty good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment